Monday, January 14, 2008

A new blade by my side

About two months ago, I purchased a new knife from Aeromedix.com. It is model based on design improvements done by survival expert Doug Ritter to the standard Benchmade Griptilian which I have a couple of. I am a big fan of the mini griptilian and found Doug's blade geometry, high flat ground blade and S30V steel choice to be worth the try. So far I have been very, very pleased with the choice I made and have carried the knife almost daily. The model is the Mini RSK Mk1 and is sold exclusively through Aeromedix.com which donates some of the proceeds to support the non-profit Equipped To Survive Foundation which seems like a good thing.

Lately, I have been considering a new choice for a fixed blade knife to take along with me while fishing and camping. I've considered the Benchmade Nimravus (too tactical), Ontario RAT-5 (too tactical), Striders (way too expensive and again too tactical) and a few other production choices. I then realized that Doug Ritter created a great medium sized fixed blade based on the same blade geometry of the Mk1 that would be an ideal choice. It has a blade length of 4.5" which is just enough for my needs. So as soon as I gather the funds, I will be back to Aeromedix.com to order one. I just wish the Mk3 came with yellow or orange G-10 handles but alas it doesn't yet.

No comments: