Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Yet Another Sage Fly Rod



I purchased a 4-piece 9 foot 6wt Sage VT2 off ebay last week and got it yesterday. I paid half-price for it and it was new. It still had a plastic ring to hold a price tag on the stripping guide sans the price tag. The cork still had what I call "cork dust" on it indicating it was unfished. The only thing was it didn't come with a warranty card or the case. I have a case already and I can live without a warranty though it would've been nice.

OK, now for a short first impression of the rod. Even though it says it weighs in at 3 3/8 ounces, it feels heavier. It feels heavier than my 2-piece Sage 7wt SLT (this rod is smooth as butter) which supposedly is 3 3/4 ounces and my 4-piece Sage 5wt Launch which is 3 1/2 ounces. Both these latter rods are medium-fast action rods though they have plenty of backbone. The VT2 definitely has some backbone and is stiffer. I expect it feels heavier due to the faster tip which may be where it has additional weight compared to the other rods even though overall it's supposedly lighter. I have to say though that the color of this rod is very nice. It has similar qualities to the Launch in that the color changes slightly depending on the light and perspective. Head on it looks a deep blue but sometimes it looks like an aqua or blue-green color.

OK, so how does it cast? It's pretty accurate and easy enough to cast even though it's slightly stiffer than the other two mentioned rods I own. It loads well and allows less false casting before shooting the line out to 60ft without much trouble. It casts a 6wt and 7wt WF line easily enough. It also roll casts well.

I still like my SLT 7wt more but I think I'll get used to the VT2 and expect to sell the Lamson Radius I have on it and put the Lamson Velocity 3 I have on the 7wt since it seems to balance better and replace the Velocity with a Ross Rhythm 3.5 that has slightly more backing capacity.

I'm going to try and fish with the new rod this weekend for bass (and maybe carp) and see how it does.

No comments: