Monday, March 26, 2007

Nighthawk Bay


This past Friday and Saturday I was in Corpus Christi fishing the Laguna Madre. Specifically, I spent all day Friday camping out with my cousin in a spot called Nighthawk Bay. It's a favorite spot of ours. It is well known for holding big redfish and speckled trout.

Nighthawk contains some wonderful water with shin deep clear flats with firm sand bottom that transition to dropoffs into green waist to chest deep water. Although we waded the area thoroughly, we ended catching most of the fish on the sail line. The winds all throughout the day were a steady 15 to 20mph with occasional gusts above that. We had to securely anchor the boat and tie it off to a duck blind while we stayed through the evening.

Iin the early morning any disturbance on the shoreline would generate a strange green glow in the water from the bioluminescence from tiny marines organisms that may have been jellyfish juveniles. After a long night with mostly undersized trout to show for it, we decided to pack it up and rest up for a night of fishing from the kayaks under one of the bay bridges.

That evening we loaded up the kayaks though the winds were still blowing though not as strong as the day before. Still, when we got to the bridge there were 3 foot swells so it looked to be a wet night. My cousin was able to catch a couple of nice redfish and trout while I had problems with my anchor holding. I also had trouble keeping my fly on the bottom with the current moving quickly in the opposite direction of the winds. The fish were on the bottom but the drag on my floating fly line wouldn't let it stay there. After a couple of hours we headed out.

Even though this trip didn't offer a lot of fish or the best weather conditions, I have been in worse and all in all it was great fun getting out in the elements with my cousin. There were also some lessons learned for next time. I hope to do it again soon.

2 comments:

Dean said...

Hi, thought I would introduce myself as I just ran across your blog today. I have a fly fishing blog that I've kept around for years. I've been moving all over the US and have experienced very different types of rivers and fly fishing. I'm now back in Texas (originally from Austin). Although I don't post as much as I used to, I am still an avid fly fisher. If you get a chance, my blog is at anglerwannabe.com.

Your blog looks great. I've subscribed to the RSS feed.

I'm also in the software/internet industry btw, hence my moving all over the country.

texasflyfisher said...

Hey Dean,

Welcome back to Texas! I read through your blog. You and I have a lot in common and have fished similar areas! I've added your blog to my fly fishing links so I can try and check it from time to time.